Sunday, May 3, 2009

Been watching the NRL

Those who know me know that I have been a Cowboys fan for a number of years and have been watching the NRL before that. While I have to say that, unlike many of my relatives and friends, I do love the game, I do find a few things confusing.

First why is a 'try' called a 'try?' Surely if you have managed to get the football across the line without one of your players offside (or touching the sideline etc) then you have SUCCEEDED not TRIED. I would really like to know the origin of the word here because it confuses me. I try to understand.

Second - Scrums - WHY? a left over from Union? A reason to show the fans the players butts? A chance to give one side a little break for a minute? Makes little sense to me?

Next thing is in every game, every one, a running tally is kept for each player of the number of penalties, metres gained, offloads etc, etc. for every player in a match. Now my question is who is keeping these tallies? Is there one person per team or per player. Whatever the answer here it is NOT a job I would like. So boring. So tedious.

On a final note who thought of the names of the positions in this game huh? 'Utility' sounds like... well somewhere I would go to relieve myself or maybe something to do with economics and 'dummy half' uh... half a dummy? not quite much as a dummy as the receiver?

This all being said I do like my league. Just telling it like it is or how I see it.

I'll leave you with a quote from a commentator on ABC Grandstand concerning the Sharks this week. "There incompetency is worth photographing." Not at all nice but probably an accurate portrayal of an ailing Cronulla team. Poor Sharkys.

No comments:

Post a Comment