Thursday, May 7, 2009

Of course I can communicate... see

I am sure that I am not the only one who believes that writing to selection criteria is hopelessly depressing, irritating and should not be necessary. Why should I write a case to prove, for example, that I am a good communicator? If I wasn't a good communicator you wouldn't be able to read this, now would you. And how do I prove an "honest, caring personality" I could tell you I have one, tell you other people said I have one, but it isn't necessarily true. I could have everyone fooled.

So it's really about 'selling yourself'. But what does that mean? Blow your own trumpet? Well what if you don't own one?!? But seriously, with people in HR who know nothing about what we actually do in our jobs doing the selecting and interviewing and who just care about getting a person who can write a nice looking application that says a few choice key words, what honest hope have the people who can really do the job have in the long run?

Maybe I should go with the words of a good friend... "Hire me or I'll kill you!"

No comments:

Post a Comment